Tuesday, October 21

...Someone alone fell asleep by the phone, waiting like a dog for a bone

I've been in a tinkering mood. Every once in a while I get the urge to create. Usually I satisfy myself by taking pictures. Sometimes I write, though it is a rare occurrence these days. Other times I find myself getting crafty. I'll find a cute little project to do with my niece. I think I'll make some Halloween decorations with her soon.

The other day I performed an aperture modification on my Holga. In the next few days, I think I'll be building a speaker setup for my mp3 player. I've elicited a potato chip can for the housing. When I get a little money together to develop some film, I'll modify the Holga for 35mm and run some through.

It's all in an effort to add a bit of substance to the monotony of constantly doing nothing. Every little bit gives me a reason to get up and move around. Every little bit passes a little bit of time, as if some future event in my life--some enlightening moment--is there on the calendar, just waiting for me to catch up. It all plays into this destructive attitude I have that somehow things will come to be without my express intervention. But then, up until now, everything in life has been handed to me. And when all of a sudden I was asked to make something happen, I was understandably lost.

So maybe all of these little side projects are just practice. Maybe I'm just building up my confidence for the more demanding task. Perhaps the contentedness I feel when creating things stems from having accomplished some feat of my own volition. I become enthused with myself. If I can do this, I think to myself, what's to stop me from doing more?

I haven't found that out yet.

3 comments:

  1. Keeping busy with projects is an excellent way to boost your self confidence and feel good about yourself; I've ran to it time and time again when I find myself becoming a sloth/depressed.

    You're obviously intelligent and skilled! You show that you can be productive and give useful contributions to the world. Pathetic? You? Not true! So maybe you haven't had some special opportunities just fall out of the sky so you can get somewhere--for most people this just doesn't happen. YOU have to get up and go out there and give it a try at making something happen. I'm sure you could get a few doors to open up if only you'd knock!

    I hope I don't sound like some sort of anoying psychologist. I'm speaking from my own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, do you have a place where you show off your photos? Flickr or Deviant Art? You could even put them on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly appreciate and admire your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete