Monday, September 22

...Ain't it strange how a man who lives for nothing can change

When I was in school I dreamt of the day when I could finally leave. I was pulling my hair out wanting to escape from the classrooms, run through the halls screaming, and out the double doors. I spent my time wanting nothing more to do with it and never gave continued education a second thought. I knew college wasn't for me. To me, the concept of college was like asking a newly released Vietnam POW if he'd like to vacation in Da-Nang. So I skated through my courses, giving the bare minimum effort. All I wanted to do was get in and get out as easily and quickly as possible.

I never dreamt, however, of the day when I would want to go back. That's what I've been doing for the past two days. But then I also didn't like photography until after grade school. I didn't like it until I was already out for a year, had a job, and bought my digital camera for more than two-hundred dollars (still the largest individual purchase I've made to date). Art had been an interest of mine since kindergarten. If you had asked me what my aspirations were when I was five, I would have said either astronaut or painter. Further on down the line, I would have answered cartoonist. The problem here, though, was that I could never draw a lick.

Sure, I doodled often and even went so far as to read instructional books on the subject, but I just wasn't any good. I was always more of an idea person and never one to take them to fruition. I couldn't name the number of characters and situations I came up with. The number of times I actually did something with them, on the other hand, is zero. This of course was before I started taking pictures. This was before I found out that photography was the perfect method of artistic expression for a guy like me. All you have to do is take a simple machine, find something interesting to point it at, and let it go to work. It can be a more complex process than that, but the fantastic thing about photography is that it doesn't have to be. Just focus, click the release, and a product comes out. But my heart wants more.

Which is why I've been considering art school, and only considering. There are a number of obstacles that keep me from acting out my wishes, not the least of which is the expense. A four-year program at the Columbus College of Art & Design, for example, runs around a cool thirty-k. Expense isn't everything, though, as the actual logistics of applying and enrolling also represent roadblocks. I don't know the first step of applying to college. I don't even know if my grades were exceptional enough (and I'm fairly certain they were not). I don't know what I would need, what I would need to have done, who to speak with, ad infinitum. Even then, I'd still have the immense problem of paying for all of it (I read a statistic that said 85% of CCAD students were making use of one form of student aid or another).

So the one thing that I never thought I'd want to do-- the one plan that I could have for my life that actually leads to a future-- is seemingly impossible for me to accomplish. It's an idea I can't afford to give up on, though. I don't know if it's even remotely feasible, but I know it will stick in my gut until I know for sure. I'll have to look into it a little deeper and see what I can dig up.

The situation is unfortunate. I finally have a substantive strategy and yet it leaves me with no control over the outcome. A twist that I hope does not become a pattern.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, nothing is unfeasible as long as you work hard. Nobody who achieved their dreams without working damn hard for it. Yes there will be obstacles standing in you're way. But wither or not you get over them defines how badly you want something. Fall down 7 times get up 8.

    ReplyDelete